Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Goldblum speaks!

The New York Post, of all things, somehow communicated directly with The Goldblum. Some excerpts:

How did you prepare for such a role [Adam Stein in "Adam Resurrected"]?

Luckily, I had a year to immerse myself in it. I went to Israel and worked with Paul Schrader, and went to Germany for a month to a concentration camp or two. I talked to survivors. I played the violin every day and took lessons. I worked with script interpretation with animals. [A dog becomes one of his closest companions in the film.] I even worked with Cesar Millan, the Dog Whisperer. So it was quite a life-changing year, in the most nourishing part I ever had.

How was it working with Schrader?

He was up for having a real powerful experience. There's a scene where I'm at my daughter's grave and realize that she was pregnant with my grandson, and I lose my mind. I'm crying, snot's coming out of my nose and after a take he said, "That's very good, but on the next take, get a handful of dirt, put that in your mouth, and eat it." I said, "Yeah, that's a good idea. That's very crazy." And I said, "Is there any kind of edible dirt that looks like dirt?" He said, "No, Jeff. Just eat that dirt." I said, "Really? Isn't that bad, with bugs and rocks and germs?" He said, "Look, Jeff. Here." And he took up a pile of dirt and put it in his mouth and he ate it. I said, "My god, Paul. OK. Here we go." So I did it, too. We both had a very life-changing experience doing this movie.

No comments: