Sunday, September 20, 2009

Jedi may sue Tesco over hood ban.

I love the corporate response from Tesco. From Ananova:
A Jedi church leader is considering legal action after he was asked to leave a supermarket for wearing his hood.

Daniel Jones, 23, from Holyhead in North Wales, who founded the International Church of Jediism, claims Tesco in Bangor victimised him for his beliefs, reports the Daily Post.

He said: "It states in our Jedi doctrination that I can wear headwear. It just covers the back of my head.

"You have a choice of wearing headwear in your home or at work but you have to wear a cover for your head when you are in public."

Daniel, who works in Bangor, said he'd gone to the store to buy something to eat during his lunch-break but was told by staff to leave unless he took his hood off.

"They said: "Take it off and I said: "No, its part of my religion. It's part of my religious right." I gave them a Jedi church business card," he said.

Daniel has now made an official complaint and is seeking legal advice.

"It was discrimination. They were making a joke against me. I was really upset. Nobody should be treated like that," he moaned.

A Tesco spokesperson said: "Jedis are very welcome to shop in our stores although we would ask them to remove their hoods.

"Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Luke Skywalker all appeared hoodless without ever going over to the Dark Side and we are only aware of the Emperor as one who never removed his hood."

2 comments:

Larissa said...

That Tesco response is awesome.

Adam Coozer said...

Indeed. But the accuser's firm IS Jawa, Jawa & Wookiie...