Monday, January 11, 2010

Avatar audiences depressed by real life.

From CNN:
James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.

"I wasn't depressed myself. In fact the movie made me happy ," Baghdassarian said. "But I can understand why it made people depressed. The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth. I think people saw we could be living in a completely different world and that caused them to be depressed."

A post by a user called Elequin expresses an almost obsessive relationship with the film.

"That's all I have been doing as of late, searching the Internet for more info about 'Avatar.' I guess that helps. It's so hard I can't force myself to think that it's just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Na'vi will never happen. I think I need a rebound movie," Elequin posted.

A user named Mike wrote on the fan Web site "Naviblue" that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie.

"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

Other fans have expressed feelings of disgust with the human race and disengagement with reality.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm "Neytiri" from Avatar-forums.com. We are a warm and welcoming community. Please join us in our discussions. I just want to let everyone know that the reason many of us feel very deeply about this movie is because we see the world we live in, compare it to Pandora, and ask ourselves, why can't people work together to make our planet more like Pandora? It saddens us greatly. But we have faith, hope, and love. We are not just about emotions, we are also about actions. Please join us on the Avatar-forums environmentalism forum. Let's talk about how we can work together to renew environmental health and human happiness.

Anonymous said...

Pandora is a boring place. You need all kinds of people and tensions and war to make a world interesting. That's why I live in the World of Warcraft.