Friday, February 12, 2010

4 myths of online dating photos revealed.

The myths follow in the full article. Good luck, online daters!
Guys hoping to get noticed on online dating sites should take off their shirts, at least those with six-pack abs, according to new survey results by one online matchmaker that also provide advice for gals' profile pics.

"We were sitting on a treasure trove of data," said Sam Yagan, co-founder and CEO of OkCupid. ''There are millions of experiments essentially happening on our site every day."

Yagan and his colleagues catalogued more than 7,000 profile photographs from OkCupid.com, looking at facial attitude, such as whether the person is smiling; context of photo, such as whether the image was taken outdoors or in a bedroom; and how much skin is bared. Pictures came from those ages 18 to 32 who lived in big cities. The data didn't include the most and least attractive photos in order to just look at certain photo factors rather than the attractiveness of the person.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, for the record, when I was doing online dating, I refused to send messages to men who felt the need to take their shirts off in photos. And my boyfriend, whom I met online was smiling and looking into the camera on his profile pic. Take that!

Jeff said...

Oooooh, so that's why I always fail. I should really stop using smiley cleavage shots.

Adam Coozer said...

If I were single and doing online dating, I'd do a shirtless picture but would draw on abs with a marker.

My hope would be to appeal to a really hot chubby chaser with a good sense of humor. :)