Friday, February 25, 2011

Former president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving arrested... for drunk driving.

From Daily Mail:
A former president of Mothers Against Drunk Driving has been arrested for driving while nearly three times over the alcohol limit.

Debra Oberlin, from Gainesville, Florida, was spotted driving erratically, swerving and crossing lanes just after 1 in the morning, police said.

When an officer pulled her over she allegedly smelled of alcohol and had watery, bloodshot and dilated eyes.

The 48-year-old estate agent had difficulty on a field sobriety test - including walking in a straight line and standing on one leg - and registered a .234 and .239 on breath alcohol tests. Florida's legal limit for driving is .08

Oberlin told MailOnline that her mother's death at Christmas had affected her badly and that the drink-drive episode was a one-off.

She had been out to watch a friend play at an acoustic night and was giving somebody a lift home because she thought they were the one over the limit.

'I didn't want them to drive,' she said. 'I didn't know I was intoxicated. I hadn't eaten all day. I thought I was overtired and I was hungry.

'I screwed up. I'm really sorry.

'I'm not this terrible, hypocritical person. I'm a hard-working person who has gone through the biggest personal loss in my life.

'The physical stress, hunger and tiredness meant the alcohol affected me more than it normally would.'

Oberlin, who has two grown-up children, was the president of the local chapter of MADD for three years in the 1990s.

No comments: