Thursday, May 14, 2009

GOP candidate for Senate calls Sen. Schumer "That Jew."

I think his excuse is lamer than the slur. I guess being Jewish means you don't believe in "traditional American values." From Arkansas News:

LITTLE ROCK — A self-professed gaffe-prone Republican state senator who is challenging Democratic U.S. Sen. Blanche Lincoln’s re-election bid said Thursday he regrets referring to Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., as “that Jew” at a Pulaski County GOP meeting last week.

“I don’t speak with a TelePrompTer, and if I had, that reference would have never made it in there,” Sen. Kim Hendren, R-Gravette, said in an interview with the Arkansas News Bureau. “I know I referred to him as Jew or Jewish, and I should not have done that. I got my foot in my mouth.”

The statement was first reported by Jason Tolbert on his conservative political blog, The Tolbert Report, after Hendren admitted to Tolbert he made the remark during his appearance at the GOP gathering.

Hendren said Thursday he made the remark in referring to comments Schumer made on the Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC, in which the New York senator said that “American traditional values” were behind them, a point Hendren said he strongly disputes.

“I was simply making a point about those two points. I believe in those traditional values like Andy Griffith, Aunt Bea, Barney and Opie. But now all that was lost with this statement,” Hendren said.

“I don’t have any issue with Jews or Jewish people or whatever the politically correct term they wish to be identified as,” he said. “I very much respect Senator Joe Lieberman.”

No comments: