Thursday, May 13, 2010

Subway restaurant tells other eateries to stop using word "footlong."

I hope they don't sue my shmeckle too! From NY Daily News:
It's a controversy that has grown more than a "footlong."

The Subway restaurant chain has mailed cease-and-desist letters to mom-and-pop eateries nationwide that use the term "footlong" to describe menu items.

"I saw that and I said, 'You gotta be kidding me,'" said Blair Hensley, 31, the owner of the Coney Island Drive Inn in Brooksville, Fla., who received one. He said his shop has been advertising footlong hot dogs since 1960.

Subway officials have applied to trademark the term "footlong."

A spokesman for the sandwich giant said the company is recanting the threat made to hotdog stand owners such as Hensley. But it's still targeting shops advertising footlong sandwiches.

No comments: