Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Woman forced to show ID to buy quiche.

This is why I only get prescription-strength quiche. From Ananova:
A 24-year-old Warwickshire woman was asked for proof of her age when she tried to buy a slice of quiche from Tesco.

Christine Cuddihy, 24, thought the cashier was joking when she refused to let the sale go through because she 'looked under 21'.

Eventually, as the shoppers queueing behind her grew restless, the embarrassed office worker had to produce her driving licence to prove her age.

"The girl told me: "You don't look over 21. I need to see some proof of age"," Ms Cuddihy told the Daily Mail.

"I told her I was certain the proof of age laws do not apply to quiche but she just said: "We have to be really strict now and this applies to quiche bought over the counter".

"It was very embarrassing, what on earth is dangerous about a slice of quiche? It was rush-hour and the shop was really busy. I was so insulted that they thought I couldn't be trusted with a harmless snack."

The incident happened at the Tesco store in Cannons Park, Coventry. Miss Cuddihy, from nearby Leamington Spa, was on her way home from work when she popped in to buy the quiche for her supper.

Tesco has apologised for the incident. A spokesman for the supermarket said shoppers did not have to prove their age to buy quiche.

No comments: