Sunday, September 14, 2008

Koozer's Kitchen: Crispy Tofu

Tofu is wonderfully versatile. You can use it as both packing material AND as adhesive. But did you know you can also eat it? It's true! Just fry the hell out of it, the Coozer way.

CRISPY TOFU YOU CAN INGEST

1. Put your oven rack thingy close to the top. Preheat the oven at 400.

2. Pat dry a brick of extra firm tofu. Slice somewhat thin (maybe 1/4 - 1/2" thin, I dunno), and put on lightly greased cookie sheet. Put in oven for 15 minutes, flipping over halfway. Take out of oven and let cool.

3. In a small bowl, mix two egg whites with a couple of tablespoons of Japanese or Korean barbecue sauce. (I used tonkatsu sauce.) In another bowl, add flour. (Or use breadcrumbs or panko if you want. Whatever man, I don't care. Gosh!)

4. Pour oil 1/2" deep in pan. (I used sunflower oil because it doesn't exude too much flavor and it's not as unhealthy as canola.) Heat super hot. Dip the tofu slices first in the egg/bbq mixture and then the flour. Fry, and watch out for spurting oil!

5. Fry on both sides til brown and crispy. Dry off the pieces on paper towels. When a little cool, brush on some more bbq sauce, then put in oven again for 5-10 minutes. I know, crazy!

6. Remove, put on plate, and add a nice dipping sauce. I went with some crazy spicy Chinese sauce. I don't know the name of it, or what exactly it was, because the label was in Chinese. It could've been children's toys melted with asbestos and lead. But I threw some sesame seeds in there and it rocked.

No comments: