Saturday, November 8, 2008

Top 5 songs of the week, 11/2-11/8/08.

Here's what I'm most addicted to this week:

1. Polysics - Wild One

"Now Is The Time!" isn't my favorite album from this wonderfully spazzy Devo-adoring band from Japan, but the more I listen to it, the more I love it. It's more rock-structured and guitar heavy than my faves "Neu" and "Eno," but man does it rock! And nothing rocks more than their cute, synthy version of Suzi Quatro's The Wild One. Endearingly sung by the group's bassist, the song is fun, bouncy, and has the most addicting synthesizer solo since Rush's Tom Sawyer.



2. Suggs - Cecilia

My second fave song of the week is also a cover. Suggs of Madness has only had a handful of solo hits that have stuck with me (Camden Town being one), but his version of Simon & Garfunkel's Cecilia is one of my favorite dance songs. It's got syncopated rhythm, a C&C Dance Factory-esque repetitive whistle, and a dancehall bridge that altogether sounds more dated than its 1996 release, but it comes together so nicely. I can listen - and shake my booty - to this song all day.



3. Mr. T Experience - And I Will Be With You

Rarely does a week go by without listening to MTX, who make everything all right. For some reason, this tune has been stuck in my head all week. Is it the addicting beat, steady riffs, or Dr. Frank's adorable vox with the "you-oo-oo-oo" refrain? Whatever it is, their video is also a low-budget treasure, featuring a K-Tel-like comp-by-mail ad, cheerleaders doing the watusi, furries, and the band as a Jabberjaw cartoon.



4. Beck - Timebomb

Get.... this... song... OUT OF MY HEAD!!! AHHHHH!!!!

Tick tick tick tick... nah-n'nah-nah...



5. Sisters of Mercy - Lucretia, My Reflection

I've been in a bouncy mood, but this goth song has been in my head on repeat all week. The dripping bass, the steady drums, Andrew Eldritch's deep, dramatic voice... But what I think I love most about the song is when the guitars kick in, and then those parts where they drop out again for a second or two pause, and - POW! This dated video doesn't do it justice (although it actually isn't so bad all things considering), but close your eyes and get swept up in the blood-red tide.



(By the way, I notice he's wearing the same clothes and swinging a pool stick in the This Corrosion video too. Weird.)

No comments: