Sunday, August 3, 2008

5 facts about pain.


I like to pretend I'm a stoic invulnerable man's man (how else will Clive Owen learn to love me?), but the truth is that pain makes me whimper like a frightened puppy during its first thunderstorm.

So at first I didn't want to read this article from Live Science, as vicarious pain makes me squirm nearly as much as physical pain (which is why I won't be in the same room as my wife if she's ever in labor). But it's a fascinating article. Here are the highlights in my words:

1. Scientists still haven't defined pain.
2. People with chronic pain have smaller brains.
3. Forget what your wife says - migraines actually lead to sexual desire.
4. Women have more nerve fibers than men and feel more and stronger pain for longer durations. (Wimps.)
5. The naked mole rat isn't affected by chili peppers.

No comments: