Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What, Me Worry?


It's a long story that I'd rather post with pictures (once developed), but I met Dick DeBartolo (main writer at MAD Magazine for 40+ years), and he gave me the grand tour of the MAD offices. It was amazing. I probably haven't read a MAD since the 80s, but all of the paraphernalia, toys, posters, original art, framed covers, you name it, had the 10-year-old in me dance around with glee. And Dick was totally awesome - telling stories and anecdotes and mischievously showing cool, rare stuff.

He even signed the new issue which won't hit the stands for two weeks. He signed it to "Steve", but that's okay. I'd like to think he was just being what he's been for 40 years - funny.

4 comments:

Danny said...

That's pretty cool, where are they located? I would imagine that Alfred has his own office, no?

Adam Coozer said...

They're across from the Ed Sullivan Theater in Times Square. Alfred is EVERYWHERE. They've got tons of Alfred swag, including some giant statues, banners, and even a huge Alfred rug the founder's wife had knit.

Steve from Moon said...

Adam,

He signed it for me. Please turn it over the next time I see you.

Steve

Adam Coozer said...

Steeeeeeve! Yours if you'd like it! As cool as it is, I don't have much room for more mags. Plus Max might enjoy it more than me!