Sunday, August 3, 2008

Coozer Prophesy #1


For the past two years, I've been telling anyone who would listen (read: my cat) that jellyfish are going to completely take over the ocean and, eventually, the world. It is a prophesy I fear is turning true even quicker than anyone expected (read: me and my cat).

This is our own stupid, greedy fault. Through overfishing using giant thresher-like killing machines, we've massacred most life in huge patches of the ocean, including the fish that are natural predators of jellyfish. As a result, jellyfish have proliferated. They may become, if they aren't already, the most prevalent creature in the ocean. And the scary thing is, jellyfish are still a mystery to us. Not to mention uber creepy.

After many warnings in the nature journals, mainstream media is finally picking up on it. Here's an article from today's New York Times.

God have mercy on our souls.

3 comments:

the people downstairs said...

The jellyfish will heed the call of Cthulhu or the Cloverfield monster, whoever the fuck!

Adam Coozer said...

Well, in any case, Japanese schoolgirls better watch out!

Amy said...

I just watched a really cool documentary on Jellyfish! I love jellyfish, they are my fave part of big aquariums. The doc was on Nat Geo channel, and it basically said the same thing - they're taking over! They are fascinating creatures.