Sunday, August 3, 2008

I hate restaurants with stupid signs on their bathroom doors.

This important news item from Ananova raises two interesting questions: 1) Why do restaurants put annoyingly unintuitive signs on their bathroom doors, and 2) China has a pizza place?

I've hated stupid bathroom signs ever since I spent a week at this Wild West ranch camp place in Colorado when I was 11. I don't remember anything about that trip, including why I was there, but I do remember how the bathrooms were differentiated by "Buckaroos" and "Buccaneers". I had no idea which I was, and I was too young/self-conscious to ask for help. I don't think I used the bathroom all week.

Now, as a jet-setting New Yorker who finds himself dragged to all the hot clubs, I still find myself quizzically pondering the doors in front of me. Typically, I just let my nose be the guide, but can this annoying trend PLEASE go away and save me from having to embarrassingly ask a snooty waiter for help? If not, I'm just going to save myself from further shame and simply poop my pants.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

My Mum got super confused at a German restaurant once. The doors were labelled "Damen" and "Herrs" and she figured, "damen" has the word "men" in it and "herrs" has "her" in it...

uh no. She was mistaken...

Jodi said...

I was at Outback Steak House and I was a little iffy on the bathroom signs. But I found the right one. :)